Productivity in Lockdown
For some, it can be difficult to stay productive, even when we are not in the midst of a global pandemic. The 21st century has seen a lot of developments – cell phones, instant access to news, Internet everywhere – that challenge our attention spans on a near-constant basis. You might think that being in quarantine, under lockdown, or in a restricted-movement location might push you to finish all your work, but unfortunately, that’s not always the case. If anything, the extra time we have to ponder life’s bigger questions may be pushing us away from productivity.
If you find your attention wandering when you should be focused, try these tips that we at P3 Solutions find useful:
1. Exercise: if you are in a country where you can exercise outside, count your blessings! If not, you can still find ways to exercise in your home. Exercise, especially right after you wake up, can increase your productivity exponentially as the day goes on.
2. Dress for Success: Especially when you are younger and your career is just starting, it is important to wear something you might wear to work. We do not suggest you wear a three-piece suit to work at your kitchen table but ditch the sweatpants for jeans and the tank top for a tee-shirt or Polo.
3. Be mindful in meetings: You may become complacent and forget to do things like turn off the microphone when you grind your coffee beans, or not wear pants and forget to angle the camera properly. It is important to be careful when you are in meetings - we’ve all heard the stories of people going to the bathroom and forgetting to mute their mics (do we really need to tell you not go during a meeting?). You will be judged by your co-workers and superiors.
4. Clean Your Workspace: A messy workspace, even if it is only a pen out of the cup or an eraser sitting on top of your to-do list, can throw you completely off your game; if you have even a little OCD this is even more true. A neat, organized, and clean workspace can really help you go the extra mile!
5. Put your phone away: Whether you are studying, working, reading, or writing a blog post, putting your phone away is a great way to boost productivity. Even if your phone is just sitting on the table in front of you, you will be distracted by thinking about all the notifications you could be looking at.
The more productive you are, the more you will get done. Most importantly, the better your work. By using the above 5 tips, your productivity will spike!